Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Comforting Routines

Due to a family member's illness, I took showers for a while at a hospital fitness center. By the third shower, I had figured out to hang the towel over the shower door with one-third hanging on the inside of the door and the other two-thirds hanging outside the door. That way it was handy, reasonably sanitary, and mostly dry. I got better at remembering the dental floss and bringing a plastic bag for laundry. On the way to the gym, I stopped to get coffee at the cafeteria and I took the short-cut through the rear exit of the cafeteria.

Sometimes routine feels like a trap, a daily grind. But I am reminded how comforting it is to develop routines, even (or especially) in the midst of life's chaos. It reduces stress and exhaustion because you don't have to think about each little cotton-picking detail. 

--Judith Allee
Parent Support Coordinator

No comments: