Monday, November 8, 2010

Ah, Technology

I remember when I got my first answering machine how exciting it was to see the little blinking red light and know that someone had tried to call . . . me! And had left a message! No more wondering and waiting if a potential employer had tried to call me. Or a potential date. The machine was a gift from my then just-a-friend (but husband-to-be), so occasionally the blinking light represented a message from him, as our relationship transitioned to the big Something More.

Now, to be honest, I have a small sigh of relief when the message light is off. It feels like one less "to do" on my long list. Except that I'm often rewarded by a message that totally makes my day. Sometimes it's from a parent who is excited about the change in his or her child's behavior. Or it could be a class member or graduate of our Getting Ahead classes (for low-income people who want a better life), or a volunteer who has found a rewarding niche. I have a confession: Sometimes I save an encouraging message for a week or so just so I can it hear again on a day when I need a little more glow. (Smart self care? Or pathetic? You decide.)

Ah, technology. I love-hate it!

--Judith Allee
Parent Support Coordinator

No comments: