Friday, July 2, 2010

Always Learning

Twice yesterday I toured the Licking County Family YMCA with parents who graduated over the last few years from our Getting Ahead classes (for parents in or near poverty). We had a little reunion and the tour was part of it.

I've been a Y member for a couple of years and didn't expect to learn anything. However, between all the new construction at the Y, the things I had forgotten, and the things I never knew to begin with, the tour was surprisingly informative even for me. For example, if you are a Y member, did you know you could borrow not only basketballs but also rackets for racquetball or wallyball while you are there?

I already knew that you could get free childcare for 90 minutes so you can work out or take a class--my grandson has a blast in the Rainbow Room. But I didn't know you could make reservations up to 2 weeks ahead of time. How about that?

To apply for a scholarship, you simply fill out a form and bring in proof of income--two most-recent pay stubs, tax return and verification of any other income. (Bring copies, not originals, because the Y can't make copies for you.)

So why would the MHA Parent Support Coordinator (me) take families on a tour of the YMCA? As part of a Community Impact grant from United Way, I encourage families to eat healthier and become more active, so the Y tour was one way to encourage families to consider applying for a scholarship.

We also had a short program about adding more fruit and veggies to your family's diet--and how to get your kids to eat them. Kayla Hughes, who teaches nutrition for the OSU Cooperative Extension Office, explained that it can take up to 15 times of trying a new food for the taste to become familiar to the child. Until it tastes familiar, kids don't really know if they like it or not. So Kayla says not to give up just because kids (or adults for that matter) don't find love at first taste. In the beginning, you might just get them to touch the food with their tongue, and then gradually work up to eating it over a period of time.

That's one thing I love about my job--always learning!

--Judith Allee
Parent Support Coordinator

No comments: