Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We want everything to be perfect

I have a philosophy that every Compeer social should be a celebration. In my job, as Compeer Coordinator, it is my responsibility to organize two regular social events each month for the members of Compeer.

Compeer is a program of MHA which matches trained volunteers with mental health recipients in one-to-one friendship relationships as well as groups of persons. To join Compeer you must be referred by your mental health professional, or apply as a volunteer. Volunteers are screened and received free training and support.

The purpose of the socials is to provide an opportunity to get out and meet people and make new friends. Good things happen when you’ve got a friend. Friends listen. They share. They give us a feeling of belonging and the encouragement to believe in ourselves.

Parties put me in mind of the scene from a Gary Larson “Far Side” cartoon in which sheep are having a social gathering. There is a living room full of sheep, quietly drinking and eating, apparently enjoying themselves. At that moment the Australian Shepherds arrive at the party.

One anxious sheep turns to another and says, “Everything is in chaos! No one knows has any direction. Thank goodness the Sheep dogs are here!”

I am that anxious sheep. I want everyone to have a good time. I know that there are Compeer members who worry about coming to the socials. And I, in turn, worry about that. So, I do everything that I can to make the socials casual and fun. Come as you are.

Why do things have to be perfect?

Our last social was a Tiki party. There was Hawaiian music and Tiki decorations. I wanted it to be perfect. It was not. The pineapple was sour. The food ran out before it was time to leave. But somehow, some people had a perfectly nice time. It was a “Ho`o Laule`a,” a celebration.

No one said, “I think that your flaming Tiki centerpiece has stopped flaming-I’m leaving!” Or “The paper umbrella in my drink clashes with my lei, you’re obviously a complete failure as a human being.”

Instead, people talked and laughed and ate all the sour pineapple (and all the other food!) There were even some “Malihinis,” newcomers, who were welcomed like “Hualoha,” dear friends.

Our Compeer members accept that I am not perfect. Compeer socials are far from perfectly planned, but the members are a small group of perfectly-friendly, inviting people.

We are currently accepting applications for community volunteers. Volunteers do not need to be perfect, but they must complete a written application and attend an interview to discuss program opportunities.

Through Compeer, volunteers can give someone the powerful gift of your friendship. It takes as little as an hour of your time each week. It’s as simple as going for a walk, seeing a movie, or just picking up the phone. Through Compeer, you can help change someone’s life for the better. And it’s as simple as being a friend!

We look forward to having you join with other Compeer volunteers who have come to understand and view their Compeer friends simply as people with problems: individuals who are having trouble in coping with everyday life situations and who benefit from the supportive friendship of a concerned and caring friend.

Compeer is “Ohana,” family, and that’s what makes it special. Any chance that a family can come together there should be a celebration. So, I try to make each get-together a little special.

I can’t promise every night will be a Tiki Party. Some socials will be closer to perfect, others will be…well not. The edible sugar sculpture rats on “Ratatouille Night” were not a big hit.

Our next social is a potluck and movie night, but it will still be a celebration of friends coming together.

In September, the women of Compeer will be going as a group to the Women’s Health Expo at the J. Gilbert Reese Center as part of our wellness program. September is also our annual Awards Dinner.

I am still going to be concerned that everyone is having a nice time. It’s hard for me to accept that I can’t make everyone happy at every social. But, I am beginning to accept that at least some of them will “Ki Pa Hou Mai,” come visit again.

Aloha `oe
Kristen Frame
Compeer Coordinator

No comments: