Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Gotta Have Faith

Schizophrenia: a mental disorder characterized by seperation between thought and emotions by delusions, bizarre behavior, etc. (Webster's)

My experience with schizophrenia was all of the above definition, and a small dose of delusions of grandeur in the mix. Unfortunately I still do have these symptoms, but, thanks to medication and therapy, I'm functioning much better.

My recovery, if you will, has also a spiritual and religious connection. Like the demoniac of the Gerasenes, I believe Jesus Christ has held my hand in recovery all through the good and bad times. And, with His help I pray for the others less fortunate than me as well.

I know many mentally ill blame God, family, and others for their disease, but with therapy, medication and, I believe, faith in something tangible, we can find recovery possible.

Sam Irvin

No comments: