Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Suicide Prevention Week a Success!



Phew, I can finally breathe!

Last week was National Suicide Prevention week, and as suicide prevention coordinator I was very busy.

The annual candle light vigil was last week, and the turn out was great. There were over forty people there, along with media coverage from The Advocate and WCLT.

The suicide prevention quilt was debuted to the public, as well as a call for more photos to add to the quilt. Anyone who would like to include their loved one on the quilt can contact me for more information.

Besides suicide prevention week, I have been busy researching and writing grants for the program because the grant that currently funds the program ends on December 31 with no option to renew it. It has been very stressful trying to fund funding because the suicide prevention program is needed in Licking County. I have also been presenting in area middle and high schools on the warning signs of suicide and depression.

I want to end with a thank you to all of you who made the vigil such a success. I look forward to seeing you all soon!

--Ashley Shaw
Suicide Prevention Coordinator

No comments: