Monday, February 23, 2009

Changing the Future One Life at a Time


Editor's Note: Getting Ahead In Just Gettin' By World is an 18-session course offered by Judith Allee through Mental Health America's Parent Support (PS) program. In this class, low-income parents create a personal plan for becoming financially stable. What follows is the statement of one recent Getting Ahead graduate who is now helping to facilitate the current class. For more information on upcoming Getting Ahead classes and our other Parent Support programs, please contact Judith Allee at prevention@mhalc.org.


My name is Peggy Wachenschwanz. I am a 34 year old mother of twin 7 year old girls. The “Getting Ahead” class has truly changed my life. Not only my life, but my way of thinking about poverty, my goals and myself.

Before the class, I felt sort of “trapped” in my station in life. I was so used to being “mother” and “wife” that I had stopped thinking of myself. I’d stopped making goals or believing that my life could be different. I had forgotten the joy of learning and growing.

The class inspired me to take my future and my family’s future into my own hands. I learned about social services that I never knew existed! I learned about my own stock of resources and how to expand them. I learned about planning goals and breaking them down to be achievable.

I was empowered. This is knowledge that I now use every day as I strive to meet those goals.

I am excited at this new turn my life has taken and I’m inspired to teach others. I am now volunteering to co-facilitate the next class because I believe so passionately in what this class gives to the students. It’s awe- inspiring.

My family is happier because I am. I will go on to teach my children what I have learned. I feel so blessed to have had an opportunity to take part in the Getting Ahead program.

Thank you!
Peg Wachenschwanz

No comments: