Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We Are Family


Hi my name is Amanda Chalfant!

After being a student intern at the YES house, I realized that I wanted to continously work with teenagers, and help to be a positive role model and someone that they could relate to and come to for support. The YES Clubhouse is an ideal place to be, because I love that it recognizes that there is a need for teenagers to have a place where they can make positive decisions and start in the right path of living their lives to the fullest. What I also love is the location of the place and the population that is being served. Downtown Newark is central to many teenagers who are in direct need to have somewhere to go. I have lived in Newark all of my life and like to see the community work together to make this place a better place to live in. I see and talk with many of our teenagers at night and on weekends and I love that they not only feel comfortable with keeping contact with us, but also show an interest in being a part of our family. I personally think that it is important to relate with our teens, and I love playing and goofing off with them, but I also have their best interests in mind. My own personal vision for the YES Club is that it will continue on for many years, and it will grow, and hopefully other locations can branch off from YES.

I also wanted to touch on the new house- It is beautiful and we are so thankful and excited to know that there are many people in this community that respect and recognize how important our teenagers are! This community and all the great people that have put a helping hand in our home are also a part of our family. With the new home, 50-60 teenagers are walking in the doors and I personally know that this is why I walk in the door everyday. I love my job and love the teenagers, they are truly kids that deserve the best and my life has been enriched knowing that I have them a part of their life. So please come down and see us, and know that it takes a community to raise a family and our community is doing a great job in raising the YES FAMILY!!

Respectfully submitted,
Amanda Chalfant

No comments: